Saturday, December 8, 2007

Blogging can be as addictive as Role Playing Games


Millions of people around the world are addicted to online RPGs. RPG transports you to a different world despite your current situation and worries. That's why RPG, especially Massive Multiplayer online RPG (MMORPG) is so addictive. It draws you from the reality. It makes you want to come back again and again.

I once did an experiment. I was wondering why so many people were hooked to World of Warcraft. What's so interesting about the game? I bought the game and a game card (I bought one game card and told myself to stop the game after 60 days). The problem was that the game became so interesting, the game world so vast that I got plunged deeper and deeper into the game. As you play, you want to level up, you want more experience, you want to buy better armor and sword, with that you can have more power...I ended up extending my intended period; I bought another 60 days game card. Thankfully, I managed to pull myself out of the game entirely after that. The experiment nearly went out of hand. The hunter nearly became the hunted. It wasted a lot of my precious time and not to mention some health (poor eyesight, backache, headache etc...) because of the long hours of playing.


In some ways, blogging is like Role Playing Games.

  • You build your character gradually up (in this case- your blog) through 'missions' or constant tasks like update content, check and reply comments etc).
  • You can level up (in terms of PageRank, Technorati ranking etc.) if you blog longer and follow some known methods.
  • You can buy booster "accessories" (like paid traffic)
  • You can join a guild (blogger network or directories)
  • There is a system of reputation and authority to maintain
  • There is a vast world (the blogsphere) to explore
  • It can be addictive especially if you are chasing after ranking…
  • It can be addictive because of the newfound friendships and networking in the new media (as in the case of MMORPG and increasingly, Facebook)

I am not saying that blogging (or for that matter, computer gaming) is bad. In fact blogging allows me to improve my writing, meet more friends and allows me to communicate more with them.

I am just saying that in everything we do, we have to do in moderation.

20 comments:

Mariuca said...

LOL! Ur experiment almost went out of hand, so cute!! I'm hooked on both PC games and blogging, how like that? lol... :):):)

mr fong said...

Haha, you draw parallels well. Well said, we have to moderate well.

Juliana said...

You were right, MT. Blogging is like addicted to games :D

WaterLearner said...

MT,

What you have illustrated is very true and very appropriate. Blogging can be as addictive as any online games (for me, I have a PSP. And I am now playing Sims Castaway - a RPG game). But like all things in life, we need to practise moderation and set our priorities right.

For me, when I first started getting the high-feelings that I received comments in my posts, it motivated me to enlarge my circle of friends in the blogosphere. But very soon, I realized that I need to draw a line as to how much I devote myself to blogging.

My two cents worth. Thanks for this great post. A good read for bloggers.

MakeTraffic said...

Ya Mazie, the experiment nearly went out of hand. I uninstall the game immeidately after realising that! Now i want to do blogging in moderation. Cheers!

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Winston, at first i just want to blog about game addiction. I mean if i have such a hard time plugging myself out of the game, what about those teenagers with little willpower and self control. I can't imagine...

Good for you that your passion is in maths and you earn your own pocket money through tuition. Hey, you are an example of a good student.

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Juliana, yes! Blogging can be like as addictive as games if not done in moderation.

MakeTraffic said...

Yes Karen! My sentiment exactly! Thanks for providing the extension to this post. Your example is excellent! Cheers!

Nux V said...

thanks for reminding...i guess i m already hooked on blogging!

Adrian said...

You are so right! I used to play Starcraft and I'd play till the wee hours. Thank good ness I kicked the habit! :)

I'm glad you kicked your addiction LOL but that's what it is...and blogging is like that but at least you get to interact with real people and talk about real things! :)

Amel said...

GREAT point, Maketraffic! ;-D

Terry Starbucker said...

Hey Maketraffic - good piece of writing here, and you point is very well taken. As soon as I get too obsessed about my Technorati ranking, or I feel like I "have to" blog, then I know I'm in too deep. It's good to have the self-awareness to pull back. Thanks and all the best!

Trinity said...

Hm.. interesting post! I wonder if the addiction can fade away eventually, we can feel bored and burn out sometimes... :-D

Anonymous said...

Yes. You're right.
I will have more and more characters(blogs)

MakeTraffic said...

Nux, you are welcome!

Blogging is good as long as we are able to balance the real world commitments...

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Adrian, i played Starcraft till the wee hours too and Thank God I kicked the habit! Imagine how many precious hours in life would i have wasted if i continue to play. Thanks for sharing.

MakeTraffic said...

Thanks Amel for your visit and comment! Cheers!

MakeTraffic said...

Thanks Terry! Your idea is great! i will use the method to check whether i am too deep into blogging. Cheers!

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Trin, addiction may fade away with other addictions.

My view is we need to realise that it is an addiction before it depleted too much of our precious time. We can also take action to balance it. But I also agree that sometimes it is easier said than done...

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Johnny, I have more than one character(blogs)too but like all RPG and MMORPG, it is hard to maintain them all because of limited resources. I tend to focus on my main character (this blog). Thanks for your visit and comment. Cheers!

The Back Page

 
Blog Directory & Search engine
Directory of Internet Blogs
SGBlog.com
singapore blog directory

ping.sg - the community meta blog for singapore bloggers

Outpost
Add your link
Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Recent comments