Saturday, September 22, 2007

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) part 1

SEO is Search Engine Optimisation.

Alot of articles likes to sensationalise the term which is nothing more than how to get your site noticed by the search engine (with its algorithum). It is like maths or programming, once you know or guess the alogo then you can be in the game. The question is the criteria are never made known so it is everyone's guess...

For a start, (1) keywords are important. Thus making blog title important as it is the first thing that the Search Engine will pick up. You should make it a point to put the keywords in your content. Take note that you SHOULD NOT flood the key word to the point that disrupt your content. The Search Engine doesn't read the content! I don't think the AI is so intelligent as to interpret the level of interest of the content.

However, if you flood the key words in your post, the search engine will treat it as though you want to play tricks (Search engine is very sensitive in this and can be achieved by algorithem) and they WILL DISCOUNT your site to be an auto or spam site. You will not get the Page Rank you desire.

(2) Secondly, you have to register with the search engines (not only Google please) in the first place. You can see my earlier post on search engine registration. It is one of those first step that i took.

(3) As mentioned in my previous post, PageRank and Backlink count on Google only get visibly updated 3 or 4 times a year these days. So don't be dishearten that your pageRank is n/a or zero. It will come. Continue to build your SEO.

(4) It is a good (or rather a dream) to be linked by someone PR 4 and above. It will contribute to your "Trust and Authority" factor (read: to be linked by them means you deemed to be trusted). (That said, So can anyone with PR 4 and above link me please.)

I will continue to post more of my learning points in my next post. Till next time…

1 comments:

Bobby Revell said...

I use 1 main, very carefully selected keyword phrase on each post. The title I select does not contain the keyword, The keyword is added into the title tag of the post.

I will use the keyword phrase usually once in the post, but it's acceptable to use it 3-4 times on some posts.

I am starting to think page rank isn't as important as I previously thought. I see sites all the time that have 1/8th the amount of incoming links I have with poor content that have a page rank of 4 or better. That makes me wonder how on earth they were ever ranked!

The Back Page

 
Blog Directory & Search engine
Directory of Internet Blogs
SGBlog.com
singapore blog directory

ping.sg - the community meta blog for singapore bloggers

Outpost
Add your link
Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Recent comments